»
»
»What Defines You?

What Defines You?

One of the goals I set for myself this year was to stay fit and healthy. OK, I set this goal every single year (who doesn't?!), but since I just turned 40 this year, it has special meaning for me. Ironically, I've had several health issues this year. Nothing major, but enough to consume considerable amount of my energy, time and of course, money. For example, I spent MANY hours this summer in physical therapy and chiropractic care because of 4 (mild) disc herniations in both my neck and lower back. Talk about pain in the neck (literally)! OUCH!

My PT treatments also include neck and lumbar tractions. Ironically, the 20 minutes I had to spend on the traction table (2-3 times a week) was about the only solitary time I had for the whole summer (besides those two short weeks when my kids were at summer camp). If you know me, you would know my kids and I are very close and I do enjoy being with them. However, you would also know how important it is for me to have regular solitary time, to be with my own thoughts, and how difficult it was for me to not being able to be ALONE, on top of being in physical pain!

At the beginning, I tried to "make the most of my time" on the traction table by listening to audio books & teleclass recordings on my iPod. I even told my coach about it and he was very proud of me. However, once I realized that this was the precious little "alone time" I had, it was clear that I would rather use this time to meditate, think about "life stuff", or JUST BE.

So here is part of my "meditation from the traction table".

I was annoyed and frustrated by the pain & discomfort. I've tried almost all the PT treatments they offer, plus chiropractic adjustments and trigger point injections, etc. I would get some relief but the symptoms would return, sometimes in just a few hours. Once the MRI confirmed the disc herniations, I understood why my body was acting that way, but I also realized that I might have to live with these symptoms for a long time.

Now, I have two choices: I can let this medical condition define me and confine me, or I can CHOOSE to deal with it the best I can and still pursue my dreams and goals IN SPITE OF IT.

When I found out that I was born with only one kidney, it didn't stop me. When I was diagnosed with hypertension at age 37, it didn't stop me, either. I simply refuse to be labeled and defined by my medical conditions, and let them dictate how I live my life. I know I wouldn't have gotten my Black Belt and experienced many other things if I had let these things hold me back. So, you see, it was a no-brainer for me this time.

Once I made that choice, I no longer felt like a victim. I am in control again.

Yes, my neck still hurts every single day, but I can deal with it.

How about you? What defines you? Is it your finance, body weight, education, ethnicity, your job, your spouse, or your kids? Do you let your circumstances hold you back, or use them as excuses so you can remain a victim and not take 100% responsibility for your life?
"What Defines You?" was posted by: Idian Ippen blogs, under category and permalinks https://idian-ippen.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-defines-you.html. Ratings: 1010 Votings: 97,687, Friday, March 30, 2012, 10:18 PM.

Comments :

 
© 2012 Idian Ippen
Is Hosted by Blogger